Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Fabulous Chicken-Vegetable Bake

Last summer, I took a road trip with my Grandpa, step-Grandmother, and my two aunts. We traveled through Oregon, California, and a small tip of Nevada. We seen many wonders and I thoroughly enjoyed my first "real" road trip.
On our last stop at Crater Lake, Oregon, I bought my favorite souvenir from their gift shop.
A cookbook titled "The All-American Cowboy Cookbook: Home Cooking on the Range." 
It is filled with trivial questions, pictures, and recipes from American cowboys. Actors, singers, writers, rodeo stars, and even some Actresses. I love to read through it and dream about trying its over 300 recipes. One of the few I have made is titled "Fabulous Chicken-Vegetable Bake". It's simple, but yummy. Of course, as I almost always do, I tweaked it here and there to fit what was in our refrigerator and cupboard.

Fabulous Chicken-Vegetable Bake

1  3 to 4 pound chicken (I used thawed chicken breasts. About 8 for my family)
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 large onions (We used one. Depends on how much you like onions)
1/2 cup chicken broth (I used 1 cup. It seemed to make it able to spread over the whole easier)
5 large potatoes, cubed
1 large green pepper, seeded and diced (We only had yellow and red so I used a red pepper)
5 large carrots
4 ribs celery, sliced
Salt
Pepper
Garlic
Poultry Seasoning

Of the veggies, we never follow the amount and just put as much (or as little) as we like.

Preheat oven to 425*. Brush chicken with 1 tablespoon of oil and sprinkle with seasonings. Place in roasting pan. Brown chicken for 20 minutes.
Sauté the onions in remaining oil until nicely brown.


Stir in chicken broth. Arrange potatoes, pepper, celery, and carrots around the chicken in roasting pan. Sprinkle with more seasonings if you prefer and pour browned onions and chicken broth over all. Cover and bake for 1 hour at 350* or until veggies and chicken is done.


 The onions enhance the flavor of the veggies and moisten the chicken. Perfect with a slice of homemade bread and a salad with your choice of dressing.

Bon Appétit!

2 comments: