Tuesday, December 19, 2017

I remember // Christmas memories // a poem from my heart



I remember Christmas candy
In bowls of red and green
I remember "the Christmas penny"
Hidden to be unseen

I remember Grandma's Christmas globe
On the table she stood
Painted lambs and pretty trees
Made to look of wood

She sang a Christmas carol
When twined to be just right
Shepherds gathered round her feet
To behold the wondrous sight

I remember Christmas music
On the big old stereo
Loretta Lynn and Kitty Wells
Sang of days long ago

I remember Christmas cookies
All laid out so neat
Bowls of colored frosting set about
A gooey mixture too sweet

I remember the Christmas Story
The one that should always be told
Grandpa's voice softly whispered
"Fear not, for behold"

"Unto you a son is given"
A line I shall always remember
Grandpa's voice etched in my mind
One I shall recall each and every December

I remember family gathered all about
Playmates of yester-years
We'd play games like "big and little"
And go against our fears

I remember Christmas dinner
Potatoes, gravy, and ham
Olives placed on each finger
Rolls and squishy candied yam

Pickles placed upon the platter
We'd wait and watch and see
Who would mistake the sweet for sour
Tossing it back to flee

I remember laughter
Love and Joy and Peace
Warmth of family filled the home
Aunt and Uncle and Niece

I remember Christmas of my childhood
Days that are forever gone
But ones I will always remember
Until the victory is won 
- Felicity Estola


10 comments:

  1. Haha! I love the part about mistaking a sweet pickle for a sour one.

    But I also see the more serious, brooding side of this poem. Bittersweet. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww such bittersweet memories! How I miss those days! How is it possible that we are already all grown up?! The years have just flown by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Precious memories and yes I know the taste of mistaking a sweet pickle for dill.. :/

    ReplyDelete