Monday, March 5, 2018

what is marriage?



When you are young and single, the idea of marriage is romantic. 
You watch romantic movies about two people madly in love. Willing to risk everything to be with their other half. You heart feels all warm and you wonder, what would that feel like? What is it like to be held and loved and wanted?
When will it be my turn?
Love and marriage seems like an exciting and fun adventure. A mysterious adventure with a tall handsome prince riding on a white horse.


While marriage is all that (besides the white horse. I mean, who really has those these days?) I have learned through my short time as a wife, that it is something much deeper.
Much more special.



Even before becoming a Mrs, my eyes began opening to a whole new level of relationship.
As we spent much of our dating days apart, we did a lot of talking. And I mean, a lot. We would spend 6-10 hours a day Face-timing. Not all of it was spent talking, but much of it was.

We learned about one another, and began sharing things we had never told anyone else before.
Some good, some bad, but all of it brought us closer together.

Marriage is not butterflies and sparkles. 

Marriage is tears and pain.
Marriage is rewarding and beautiful.

Now, how can something that is painful, be beautiful?

Simple.

Through all that pain, comes joy. The nights spent crying on each others shoulders is bonding. It's sharing. It's growing.

Marriage is so much more than a pretty ring and a handsome husband.
It's a friend. A best friend. It's someone to share everything with. The good days and the hard days. The laughter and the tears.
It means encouraging one another when the other is down. It's holding them up when you see their knees beginning to buckle.
It's praying together, for each other. It's about forgiveness. It's about love.
True love.

Love that can stand up to the strongest wind.

I am not perfect. In fact, I am far from it. I fail much every single day. Yet, do you know what? Josiah loves me. And he forgives my flaws and loves my heart.

"Marriage is a picture of Christ and the church." 

How many times did I hear that saying? How many times did I nod in agreement, but not fully understanding what it meant?

Now, I believe I have been given a small glimpse of what it means. 

When I look at my husband, I see Christ.
 I see the love my Savior has for me.
Unconditional. Unfailing. Unwavering. 

Josiah loves me, but Christ loves me more.
Christ loves Josiah more than I ever could.
The thought of that is so humbling, for I have never felt so much love for one person in my entire life.
And each day, it only grows. When I think I have felt all I can feel, with just a smile my heart swells. When Josiah hurts, I want to take his burdens, and carry them for him. I want to hold his hand and never let go. Reassure him that I am right here, and I'm not going anywhere.

That's how Jesus feels about me. Only, He can take my burdens, and He can carry them for me.
He can reassure me. He isn't going anywhere. He's holding my hand, and He won't ever let go. 
How amazing.
How beautiful.


 So while marriage is exciting and fun, it is something much more than just that.

It is having a partner to walk beside you. Stumble together. Pick each other back up, and carry on.
Reminding one another that Jesus is the reason for life. Jesus died for you, He died for me, and He has washed our sins away. Through Him, we are white as snow.

It is crying and laughing. It is joy and it is pain.

When two people are kneeling below the cross, it is rewarding.
Each bump won't pull you apart, it will cause you to cling tighter.
Every time I have laid my head down beside my husband, and cried tears of sadness, my love has grown. It is such a special thing, and a bonding moment for you as a couple.

Marriage is a partnership. Marriage is someone to walk with and fall with.
A friend to worship our Savior with.

Someone who whispers "amen" right along with you.

Marriage, in all it's ways, is beautiful.

6 comments: