Friday, October 19, 2018

girl baby names // old hollywood


I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love baby names. I've always enjoyed reading through lists and lately I have been into watching videos on baby names. Sadly, usually the names are
#1 a family related name or #2 a name I don't really like.

I thought it might be fun to share my own ideas on baby names. Today we'll look at 10 girl names inspired from old Hollywood actresses.

1. Luana 
For 113 years, this name was not on the top 1,000 for precious little girls, according to the US Social Security records. First records began in 1943, but became the most popular in 1947 when 164 girls were given this name.
1940's actress Luana Patten gracefully brought this name to the screen starting as a very young girl. 
Today it is again no longer on the charts.
Considered of Hawaiian origins, Luana is said to mean Enjoyment
I personally would love to use this beautiful baby girl name someday!

2. Dale
Dale is most popularly used as a boy name though girls have been given it. One actress was not born with this name but later took it, using it until her death in 2001.
That was 1940's actress, Dale Evans Rogers.
Dale is German and means Valley.
Most popular for girls in 1952, it has since fallen far down the list. Still, I think it could be a very pretty name. How about Dale Elizabeth?

3. Beulah 
Beulah is a beautiful Hebrew word meaning married.

 Thou shalt no more be termed Forsaken; neither shalt thy land any 
more be termed Desolate: but thou shalt be called Hephzibah, 
and thy land Beulah: for the LORD delighted in thee, 
and thy land shall be married. 
Isaiah 62:4

Actress Beulah Bondi brought this name to the screen during the 1930's.
It was most popular in 1904 when 983 baby girls were given this name. Today it does not reach the top 1,000.
I love how elegant this name sounds. Beulah Mae anyone?

4. Audrey
This elegant name is one of the more popular names of today. Of English origins, Audrey means Noble Strength.
Between 1900 and 2018, it was most popular in 2017 when 4,808 girls were given it at birth.
Actress Audrey Hepburn was very well known during her acting days and her face is still recognized by many today. 

5. Doris 
In 1929 this name was a huge hit. 16,496 babies were born bearing this name. With Greek origins, Doris is said to mean, Sea.
Actress Doris Day was very popular on the screen during the 1940's and is still active today. During the 1960's and 70's she even had her own TV show, The Doris Day Show.

6. Ginger
A delicious and healthy spice, Ginger can also be used as a unique baby name. A famous dancer and actress brought this name to fame starting as early as the 1920's, Ginger Rogers.
This name was most popular in 1971, but has since dropped in ratings.
Ginger is said to be of English origins meaning reddish orange color.

7. Rita
This name was quite popular starting in the early 1900's all the way to the 1960's, ranking the highest in 1930. Since then it has dropped dramatically low.
Rita Hayworth was a Hollywood actress who began acting in the 1930's. Usually, Rita is a nickname for other names, like Margarita (Rita Hayworth's birth name) but I find it can stand on its own quite well.
Rita is a Spanish name meaning Pearl.

8. Shirley
Not many of us can say we have never heard of the dimpled faced Shirley Temple. Born in 1928, she began her acting and dancing career at the tender age of three.
This name actually has a long history. Originally a surname, or commonly used and thought of as male, it eventually made its way to the feminine side. Charlotte Bronte made it popular for girls when she wrote the novel titled Shirley in 1849.
In the US, it was most popular in 1936.
Shirley in English means bright meadow while in Hebrew it has a meaning of song unto me or I have a song.

9. Maureen
Irish born Maureen O'Hara was born in 1920. She eventually became an American citizen and made many Hollywood pictures, including five with John Wayne.
An Irish name meaning Of the Sea or Bitter, it was most popular in the US during 1948. Today it is far off the charts.

10. Jean
Having been used for both girls and boys through the years, actress Jean Arthur brought the name to the stage during the silent film days before making her way to talkies.
In 1929 it was popular for girls while in 1928 it was popular for boys. Still, more girls than boys have been named Jean through the years.
From the English language Jean means God is Gracious.

What did you think of this list? Any names you like? Or wouldn't use? Learn anything new?

I love researching baby names, reading histories and meanings. Is this something you would be interested in reading more of?
Any other list ideas you'd like me to do?
Let me know!

10 comments:

  1. Oh I love the name Audrey!!

    loved this post to by the way, *winks*

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was interesting to read...I don't know how to pronounce some of these names. Lol! I like the name Ginger 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops! Lol! I guess I should have put how to say them!
      Luana/Lou-ah-na
      Beulah/B-you-lah
      Rita/R-ee-tah
      Maureen/M-uh-reen

      I am glad you enjoyed reading this! It was fun to write.

      Delete
  3. I want to use the name Beulah for my little girl someday<3 It's absolutely beautiful. I didn't realize it was Hebrew! It makes me want a little 'Beulah' even more. lol
    I always said I wanted a Luana, but I know you have, too... so if you let me have Beulah, I'll let you keep Luana, ok? ;) :P
    Even though I love Doris Day's music, I'm not sure if I'd want to name my child 'Doris'. I think any other name I would use, except maybe Dale or Ginger?
    I didn't Rita Hayworth's name was Spanish? That's so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know Beulah was either! And was surprised to actually find it in the Bible!
      Yes, Luana is mine. I'll let you keep Beulah *laughs*
      I am not sure I would use Doris either? I actually could see myself using Dale or Ginger though. But I probably never will.

      It is! I didn't know either! You find out a lot of things when you research names!

      Delete
  4. I love thet name Luana!! It's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is! Very soft and elegant with a touch of uniqueness but not so much it's odd.
      Josiah actually likes it too! So maybe someday in the future I will be able to use it *smiles*

      Delete