Wednesday, October 24, 2018

sentimental words // O C T O B E R

Do you ever hear a hum that strikes a familiar feeling in you heart? Perhaps its a song. A worn out blanket. A smell.

I thought it may be fun each month to post something that is sentimental to me. In word form. Perhaps it will be a song. A poem. A quote. Or even just a little story.

This month we will start with an old "diddy" that I go way back with. I began playing it to myself and, to my great surprise, a lump came to my throat. How odd.

These words are from an old movie I grew up watching - Where the Red Fern Grows.
The movie itself is quite dear to me. But the song at the beginning? Enough to get your heart fluttering and the memories rolling.



In the Morning of My Life 
Andy Williams 

In the morning of my life I ran through the hills 
and the whippoorwills sang their songs just for me
and each brand new day was a sweet melody

 In the morning of my life we'd swim in the creek
playing hide and seek like the wind wild and free
and each brand new day was a sweet melody 

But now the world has grown so old
the songs have been sung
there's no one left for me to hold 
but all of my memories remain so young 

In the twilight of my life I dream of the hills
and the whippoorwills who once sang just for me
day is fading fast and now alas
the evening is near

7 comments:

  1. Oooh, what are trying to do to me? I'm wiping tears away.
    I'm excited for this series of posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't watched "Where The Red Fern Grows" In forever, I can't even remember this song.

    ReplyDelete