Thursday, December 15, 2016

The Merry and Bright Tag



Hello blog world! I was tagged by Daminika at Walking in the Sonshine for the "Merry and Bright Tag".
I hope you enjoy seeing a glimpse of what makes Christmas, Christmas for me:

Favorite movies to watch at Christmas time:
The Shop Around the Corner (1940)
Holiday Inn (1942)
Murder, He Says (1945)
*this is not a Christmas film in the least. But I received
it as a Christmas gift, watched it, and now it gives a cozy
warm feeling. Strange thing to
think, after the title, eh? But it really is good!*
It's A Wonderful Life (1947)
Meet Me in St. Louis (1944)
On Moonlight Bay (1951)
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954)
Winnie the Pooh and Christmas Too (1988)
*Come now, don't judge. Sometimes we all just need a little advice
from the simple minded little bear? I loved this movie as a
little girl, and it gives such a lovely Christmas feeling.*
Some Christmas songs that make me want to sing:Christmas wouldn't be complete without these singer and their songs
Christmas Like a Lullaby - John Denver
Christmas like a lullaby steals across the land
A breeze upon the water, rainfall upon the sand
We celebrate a baby born from spirit into man
And Christmas like a lullaby steals across the land


Marvelous Toy - John Denver
It went "Zip" when it moved
"Bop" when it stopped
"Whirrr" when it stood still
I never knew just what it was and I guess I never will
Country Christmas - Loretta Lynn
A good old country Christmas that's what it's gonna be
With all the family gathered round our pretty Christmas tree
We'll open up our presents Christmas Eve about midnight
We'll have a good old country Christmas alright
Old Time Christmas - Randy Travis
It's an old time Christmas
Family and friends 'round the tree
It's an old time Christmas
Like the ones in my memory


Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas - Judy Garland
Have yourself a merry little Christmas
Let your heart be light
Next year all our troubles will be out of sight


There's A New Kid in Town - Keith Whitley/George Strait
There's a new kid in town
and He's lyin' in a manger down the road
There's a new kid in town
But He's just another baby I suppose, Heaven knows
There's a new kid in town here in Bethlehem

New Born King - Pernell Roberts
Mary what'cha gonna call that pretty little baby?
Oh, oh, pretty little baby
Oh, oh, pretty little baby
Glory be to the new born King

On This Day - Reba McEntire
Cause on this day a child was born
In the town of Bethlehem
And on this day God sent his son
To bring peace and good will to all men

The Angels Cried - Alan Jackson and Allison Krauss
The angels knew what was to come
The reason God had sent His son from up above
It filled their hearts with joy to see
And knowing of His destiny came tears of love

I suppose I shall stop there. But there are oh so many good Christmas songs out there! And I know I'll re-read this someday and say "Hey! Why didn't I put - ?"
Some Books that I love in the Winter:I really can't think of many books that I enjoy more at Christmas time, than others?
The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Bendigo Shafter - Louis L'Amour

Grandma's Attic series - Arleta Richardson

Some Christmas goodies that make me smile: Mocha Truffles
Frosted Peppermint Sugar Cookies
Candy Cane Cookies
Sour Cream Twists
Shortbread
Molasses Candy Canes
Old Fashioned Hard Candy - in that lovely tin can!

Some Christmas-y words that make me happy:
Baking
Bundling up
Cold
Lights
Music
Merry Christmas

Some things about Christmas that are awesome:
Christmas lights
Christmas tree
Stockings
Freezer stocked with goodies
Wrapping Gifts and Christmas shopping
Sweaters
Boots
Hot peppermint coffee
Decorating
Family gatherings
Horseshoe Sandwiches on Christmas Eve

Favorite Christmas memories: Hmm? My favorite Christmas memories? Well let us see what I dig up from my memory:
Setting the Christmas tree up after Thanksgiving and decorating it as a family. Always a Christmas cd softly playing in the background, and usually "John Denver".
"Helping" Mommy bake as the counters and freezer were covered in goodies.
Handing out gifts and waiting with anticipation when it was finally "your turn".
Listening to Grandpa as he, each year, read aloud the Christmas story. I think for the rest of my life I will always be able to hear him say "For unto us a child is born. Unto us a son is given."
Old fashioned hard candy in bowls and Grandma eagerly handing them out to us little ones.
Staring wide eyed at Grandpa and Grandma's "Christmas globe" for hours.
Waking up early and rushing into the living room to stare at the Christmas lights in the dark.
We used to love to play "Hide the penny" while we waited for Mommy and Daddy to finally wake up. We would each take turns hiding the penny on one of the trees many branches and then the others would search, quietly, for it. Whoever found it, got to hide it next.
Running out in the first snow, bare footed. Catching snowflakes on our tongue.

Some Random Things that make THIS Christmas Special: Fire place to keep us warm.
Beautiful Christmas tree.
Christmas shopping to pick out the "perfect gift".
 I tag:
Marita at When I Hear Music
Marissa at Hidden Treasures

Guidelines:
Take the banner and put it in your post
List as many things as you want in each category
Make up more categories if you'd like
Tag as many people as your heart desires!

4 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE!! =D

    I hope Marissa and Marita do it! ;D

    I can't believe I didn't think of those last two movies you put... silly me. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christmas is such a lovely time of the year...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!
    I had forgotten about 'Hide the Penny'.
    It have me such a warm feeling to read your post and be reminded! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christmas is such a blessed time of year! :)

    ReplyDelete