Monday, October 9, 2017

New Hampshire // The First Day

The morning of September 8th, I awoke feeling excited and nervous. My suitcase was packed, snacks were bought, and only last minute items were needed before we hit the road for the airport. This would be my first time flying completely alone and I was extremely slightly nervous.
My flight did not leave until 3:00 p.m. so I was able to get a full nights sleep, eat lunch, and shower before we were on the road.


All went well at the airport. I checked my bags, hugged my parents goodbye, and went through security smoothly.




Still, I discovered that I do not like traveling alone, and it is far better having someone along with you. I got lonely, which made my nerves of flying even worse.
We boarded the plane as planned, and soon began backing away from the gate when we abruptly stopped and moved back toward the airport. Odd?
An announcement was made over the speakers:

"We seem to have run into a problem. It looks as though a glove has been sucked into the engine. We have called for maintenance."


Ok. Now that's something you don't hear every day.
Time ticked by.
Nothing.


Soon it was announced that maintenance was on another call and would not be able to come to even look at the problem for another thirty minutes. At first I sat patiently. But, when time began to roll by, I began to feel panic. What if we left so late that I missed my connecting flight in Chicago? What would I do then?



I text my parents and boyfriend, quite upset. Scared. Alone. I didn't know what to do. I didn't want to stay alone, over night, in an unknown city. Oh the prayers that went up in that hour.

After what felt like an eternity, maintenance made it, the glove was removed (thankfully it had gone down the side, not the center), paper work filled out, and we left the ground.



I was seated next to a window, with two women beside me. The one right next to me was very nice, and concerned with me in making my flight on time. I shed some tears, and tried to hide them so no one could see. It was a hard hour or so.

Then the women in the row in front of me flagged the flight attendant. She began to ask if she would make her connecting flight to Manchester. Manchester? That was my connecting flight too! My ears perked and I listened to what he had to say. He went to the back of the plane and asked some questions before returning.

"The flight said they will hold the plane for you. So, don't worry ma'am. You'll make it."

I felt like shedding some more tears at that news, but this time out of relief. They were holding the plane.

We landed an hour late in Chicago, and I was anxious to hurry off the plane, and get to my next one. I was afraid perhaps they didn't know I needed to get on it too and would leave as soon as the woman in front of me made it.
The lady next to me was very kind and stopped people so I could get out quickly.

"She needs to make her connecting flight. They are holding the plane."

I wish I knew who she was. She made my feel so much better.
I hurried out of my seat, and with the other passenger, quickly made it to our connecting flight. As soon as we made it, they began boarding and within minutes I was seated on yet another plane. I was so relieved. No more worries, my next plane would land me on the same ground as my boyfriend, and he would take care of me then.

I later discovered that the flight to Manchester was the only one held. All others missed their flights and had to find a place to stay for the night. Thank you all for the prayers! They worked. God truly does perform miracles.


After a two hour flight, the lights of New Hampshire sparkled from the ground. I had made it. Soon. After two months, I would be back in my boyfriends arms.
We landed an hour late and I didn't get to hug Josiah until 1:00 a.m. I was tired, cold, but happy. Nothing can replace that feeling. The feeling of being whole again. Words can't describe it.

We got my luggage, loaded it into ole Blue, and headed out on the road for Grandpa and Grandma's. We reached it at 3:30 a.m. Grandpa hurried outside with hugs, and carried my suitcase into the house.
The plan was for me to stay at my Aunt Mary's for a couple weeks, but I didn't want to stumble into their house so late and wake the babies, so it was decided I would stay the first night at Grandma's, and the next day move to Mary's for awhile.
It was nice being back! Grandma's feels very near to home.

Because it was so late, Josiah crashed on the couch instead of making the 20 minute drive home.

The next day was Saturday, so no work for him! We were able to spend the first day completely together.


I didn't get too much sleep that night, and awoke around 8:00 the next morning. But when you can spend time with your boyfriend, who needs sleep?
We made breakfast, I showered, and then we loaded up my suitcase once again and headed out on the road. Stopped at the grocery store, Josiah's parents, and then finally over to Mary's. I got hugs, chased the twins and stole kisses, unloaded my bags, and sat back to relax. It was a long, but lovely day.





To be continued:

12 comments:

  1. oh my word I AM SO GLAD YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO TRY TO FIND SOMEWHERE TO SPEND THE NIGHT gosh. *shudders*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cormick and Callen are killing me <3333

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cormick and Callen are SO CUTE!!!! <333
    THEY KILL ME!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SOO grateful that God answered our prayers and that plane was held!! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow God really is amazing <3 <3 <3 <3 so glad you eventually made it safely!
    can't wait for the other parts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome that your plane was held for you! The first time I flew where I was the responsible one (Diane, Laban, and Shiloh were with) our connecting flight was canceled or delayed. I had to figure out what to do. Turns out we were able to get a flight in to Manchester when originally we were flying to Boston. It worked out so much better! Now I've flown so many times alone or with a baby, I'm becoming a world traveler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! That is kinda neat how it turned out!
      You the pro *wink*

      Delete