Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Biscuits and Sausage Gravy

Mmm.... I love my Biscuits and Sausage Gravy.
My Mom was very nice and bought me some sausage so I could make some for breakfast one morning. Yesterday I finally got around to it, and it was worth waiting for!
I thought I'd just share the recipe. I'm sure you've all have your own you like to use, but this is my favorite!

Baking Powder Biscuits:
A friend and I loved to make biscuits together and we always were trying new recipes. This is one we came across online. It's from 1933 and I have found no other recipe that I like as well as this one! We make them often in the morning or even for supper.
* We always make them dairy free with shortening and almond milk.

4 cups flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup shortening or butter
1 1/2 cups almond milk or regular milk

In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt together. Cut in shortening or butter. Add milk and stir until a soft dough is formed. Turn onto a floured surface and slightly knead.
Roll out and cut with biscuit cutter. Place on an un-greased sheet.
Bake at 400* for 12 minutes.

Sausage Gravy:
I have never tried making this dairy free with oil and almond milk, so I'm not sure how that would turn out.

1/2 pound sausage
6 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons of butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 2/3 cups milk

In a skillet over medium heat, grind and cook sausage until no longer pink; drain if needed. Stir in flour, butter, salt, and pepper; cook and stir until butter is melted. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil and stir until gravy is thickened.

Serve over warm biscuits.

7 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I'll have to try these. I like biscuits & gravy too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of miss eating biscuits and gravy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S I would like to add, we use Palm shortening so its much better for you then Crisco ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love biscuits and gravy, but haven't made them for years. I think for dairy free gravy, using chicken broth as the bulk and a couple tblsp of canned coconut milk for the creaminess, would work. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the last of the sausage yesterday morning, but we were out of regular milk so I used Almond. It still turned out yummy and I couldn't tell it wasn't real milk! But I did used butter in it.... I wasn't sure if oil would work to make the milk thicken?

      Delete
  5. looks yummy! NOT something I can eat right now for sure and never with pork or dairy. Maybe I'll try it later with some turkey sausage and coconut milk and chicken broth .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm! I LOVE tis breakfast meal! SO, SO, SO good! <3

    ReplyDelete