Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Pollyanna Cake

Chancy turned fourteen on Monday. To celebrate we asked what he wanted for dessert. His response?

"A Pollyanna Cake"

Remember the good old movie "Pollyanna"? What about those cakes the cook whips up for a bazaar and Pollyanna nibbles on while wrapped in a napkin?


 They do look yummy! I searched recipes online, found one we had ingredients for, and attempted to bake my brother a "Pollyanna Cake".
It didn't turn out perfect. I should have baked it longer, and it made only one layer instead of the three the original shows. But hey, we have to try don't we?

Pollyanna Cake:

1 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
4 egg yolks (reserve whites in another bowl)
1/4 c. vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Place ingredients in a mixer and mix for about five minutes until smooth and creamy.

In a separate bowl:

4 egg whites
1/2 tsp. cream of tarter

Using a hang mixer, whisk until soft peaks form. (Longer than you think)
Once it looks about right, slowly begin adding:
1/4 c. sugar
and mix until stiff peaks form. (Like a meringue). Carefully fold into the first mixture. Place in a sprayed cake pan. I used a spring pan but I think it would work in three regular cake pans.
Bake at 325* for about 45-50 minutes.
I didn't hang the cake upside down and it fell a little. Maybe if you did, it would stay taller and fluffier?

Once it was cooled I frosted with

Whip Cream Frosting:

1 c. milk
5 T. flour
1/2 c. butter
1/3 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix flour and milk in a pan. Boil, stirring constantly, until thickened. Let cool completely. (I put in fridge on a hot pad). Cream butter, shortening, sugar, and vanilla. Add flour mixture and beat well.


So there you are! My attempt at baking a "Pollyanna Cake". Maybe someday I'll find a better recipe, but this will do for now!]

5 comments:

  1. I think this is pretty close to the 'Pollyanna Cake'. If we made three; making it a three-layer cake, it would be even closer. And it tasted good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always thought those cakes looked SOOOO GOOD! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you will try baking ( or cooking) anything :) The cake looked good! :)

    ReplyDelete