Tuesday, May 22, 2018

by the book // a tag blog

 Hello friends, welcome back!

Okay, who else loves tags as much as me? They are so much fun to sit down and do. Answer questions, think about yourself, and wonder who you truly are inside.
I was reading old blogs this morning and stumbled across some of my old tags I did in the past. This one I first did here in 2016. I thought perhaps it would be fun to get this tag circulating again. What do you think?


The rules are simple. Just answer the questions and tag a few friends to do the same! On your mark, get set, go!

// What is on your nightstand right now?
The Complete Tales and Poems of Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne
Here is Edward Bear, coming downstairs now, bumpy, bump, bump, on the back of his head, behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there really is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it.

Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Once upon a time, sixty years ago, a little girl lived in the Big Woods of Wisconsin, in a little gray house made of logs. The great, dark trees of the Big Woods stood all around the house, and beyond them were other trees and beyond them were more trees. As far as a man could go to the north in a day, or a week, or a whole month, there was nothing but woods. 

More Than Petticoats: Remarkable Oregon Women by Gayle C. Shirley

 The Path of Loneliness by Elizabeth Elliot



// What was the last truly great book you read?
It has been so long since I sat down and truly read. I am not certain what I would say was the last great book I picked up?
Perhaps it was The Magnolia Story by Chip and JoAnna Gaines.


// If you could meet any writer - dead or alive - Who would it be and what would you want to know?
Louis L'Amour. He was such a fascinating character. A seamen, cowboy, soldier, boxer, and of course, a writer. If you could do it, he did it.
He traveled around the world and met many people of all kinds of lifestyles.
I would love to just sit and listen to his tales of yesterday. 

// What books might we be surprised to find on your shelves?
Perhaps you would be surprised to find that I own many biographies and autobiographies. Books on facts and history. I have story based ones as well, but I seem to love the true stories of people who really live/lived. 


// How do you organize your personal library?
By author, sizes, and kind of writing. The classics here. The biographies there. The fictional series here. Someday I would like a bookshelf but for now they sit in the "pantry' my husband built. This is the first time my books have been out of a box in about three years!

// What book have you always meant to read but haven't gotten around to it yet?
*wracks brain*
Honestly, I have no idea. There really isn't any book out there that I am "dying to get my hands on". 

// Anything you feel embarrassed never to have read?
Well... I am not embarrassed for never have reading this but, I have never read the Narnia books. Growing up, those were not allowed and I honestly never had the desire to read them. I remember going to Christian school from 4th-6th grade and everyone gasping with shock when they found out I wasn't allowed/never had read those books. Now that I am married and an "adult", I personally still have no desire to read them *shrugs*. Fantasy just isn't my thing.

// Disappointing, Overrated, Just not good: What book did you feel you were suppose to like but didn't?
I remember stating this in my entry two years ago, but the only thing I can really think of was Stepping Heavenward by Elizabeth Prentiss.
It was far to sad for me during that stage of my life. Perhaps if I read it now I would feel differently.


 // Do you remember the last book you put down without finishing?
Sadly, yes... It was
This Life I Live by Rory Feek.
I thoroughly was enjoying this book! Life just got super busy (dating, engagement, and marriage) and I never was able to finish it.

// What kind of stories are you drawn to? Any you stay clear of?
Anything historical with mountain men, Indians, and pioneers. As well as classics like Anne of Green Gables, Heidi, and Little Women.
I usually steer clear from "self help" books, fantasy, or modern day stories. Just not my thing.

// If you could require the president to read one book, what would it be?
The Bible.
And perhaps Lives of the Signers of the Declaration of Independence by Benson J. Lossing.
Written in 1848, it talks about each of the signers who fought to make this a free nation. Stating how almost all were followers of Jesus Christ.

// What do you plan to read next?
Hmm.... I think perhaps if I ever finish the books I have already started, I would like to re-read the Anne Shirley books by L.M. Montgomery.


Anything surprise you? Do you know any of these authors or books? What kind of reading material do you prefer?

I tag:

Daminika at Walking in the Sonshine

LaKaysha at Calico and Lace

Liberty at The Elegant Cowgirl

Shantelle at Between the Pages of this Bookish Life


8 comments:

  1. Oh boy. I'll have to do this when I get back from vacation ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to find time somewhere along the line ;P I have two tags to do still! ;P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like I said before...Stepping Heavenward was a favorite. For me it was like finding myself, my life and my feelings inside the pages of a book. It gave me hope when I was down and understandings of God's word that I hadn't had before. I was so uplifted after reading it and have read it many times over, sometimes just parts that meant a lot to me.
    Anywho, that's just me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I really need to read it again... I think I just started reading it as a fun story and it turned into something drastic *laughs*
      I wasn't reading it to see what it could do to inspire me... It was "just a depressing story".
      Someday I'll try it out again ;)

      Delete
  4. I always enjoy reading peoples answers to book tags. =)
    I haven’t read the Narnia books either. I’ve seen the movies, but I didn’t care for them a lot. I’m not a fantasy person either. ;)
    I’m also drawn to books about pioneers! I especially love books set during the Oregon Trail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey!
      Thanks for commenting!

      Aren't they the best? I love the Oregon Trail! My ancestors traveled on it. It was so neat to go there and walk down a section of it a few years ago with my family.

      Delete
  5. I HAVEN"T READ NARNIA EITHER! *high five* Fantasy and me do not mix XD. Fun tag!

    -Victoria G.
    http://victoriasbooknook.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *high five*
      I guess I am not as odd as I thought!

      Delete