Monday, August 14, 2017

Hymns

I have always loved country music. That old fashioned "twangy" sound and sad old songs that have no beginning. Mountain music. The American sound. The root of all music.
There is just something romantic about those sounds. The old stories told through song, passed from generation to generation. Something special.


They are fun to listen to and even fun to sing. Songs about lost loved ones, broken hearts, and pain. True stories that happened to someone so long ago.


I probably will always love those old songs. And yet, even older songs have lasted through the ages. And those old words have become so real and near to myself, personally.


Hymns.


The first song I learned as a child was "Jesus Loves Me". The first song I could sing word for word.
Through the years I came to memorize many more. The words were beautiful and the tunes inspiring.


It wasn't until recently though that those words truly hit my heart deep inside. I came to understand them so personally that each line, though I have sang them a thousand times, seemed to take on a new magic. The words hit far deeper than I could imagine and tears would sting my eyes.


Hymns are sermons of their own. Uplifting and encouraging. Someone so many years ago, felt the same way I did. They had struggles and fears. And God allowed them to pen those words to encourage others hundreds of years later. How amazing is that?


Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus
Oh soul are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There's a light for a look at the Savior
A life more abundant and free
Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in His wondrous face
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace


Just a couple weeks ago, I had a bad day. I became so afraid and I lost sight of Jesus. I was looking at this world and everything seemed too dark. Too evil. I couldn't do it. I didn't want to live in this world anymore. I was so ready to go home. I felt like I was falling into a deep hole that I would never come out of. Then from the back of my mind, the words above floated through my head.
"Turn your eyes upon Jesus. Look full into His wondrous face. And the things of earth will grow strangely dim." The things of earth.
I had always took those words physically. We need to look fully to Jesus and not rely on things of this earth. Food. Clothes. Wants.
But those words are so much deeper. To me anyway. The evils of this earth will grow dim when we look to Him. The fears and earthly struggles vanish, and I can come out of that darkness stronger.
 
With Harps And With Viols
How helpless and hopeless
We sinners had been
If He never had loved us
Till cleansed from our sin
Unto Him who hath loved us
And washed us from sin
Unto Him be the glory
Forever, Amen


I Need Thee Every Hour
I need thee every hour
Most gracious Lord
No tender voice like thine
Can peace afford
I need Thee, oh I need Thee
Every hour I need Thee
Oh bless me now my Savior
I come to Thee


Take My Hand, Precious Lord
Precious Lord, take my hand
Lead me on, help me stand
I am tired, I am weak, I am worn
Through the storm, through the night
Lead me on to the light
And take my hand, precious Lord
Lead me home


Where We'll Never Grow Old
I have heard of a land
On a faraway strand
Tis a beautiful home of the soul
Built by Jesus on high
There we never shall die
Tis a land where we'll never grow old
Never grow old
Never grow old
In the land where we'll never grow old
Never grow old
Never grow old
In the land where we'll never grow old


How Beautiful Heaven Must Be
We read of a place that's called Heaven
It's made for the pure and the free
These truths in God's word He has given
How beautiful Heaven must be
How beautiful Heaven must be
Sweet home of the happy and free
Fair haven of rest for the weary
How beautiful Heaven must be


How Great Thou Art
Oh Lord my God
When I in awesome wonder
Consider all the worlds
Thy hands have made
I see the stars
I hear the rolling thunder
Thy power throughout the universe displayed
Then sings my soul, my Savior God to Thee
How great Thou art, How great Thou art
Then sings my soul, my Savior God to Thee
How great Thou art, How great Thou art


Like a memorized Bible verse, God can use the words to hymns as well. When you need encouragement, words of hymns can fill your mind. I am so thankful I was brought up around those old, old stories. For without them, this life would be a much harder road.
I may always enjoy playing country music on different occasions, but those hymns? Those are something truly special. Those I want to sing forever and ever, amen.


How great Thou art! How great Thou art!

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful post! I so enjoy hymns!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! As time goes on the more and more dear these songs get. At times they have been the greatest encouragement and comfort. <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful :) hymns are so precious to me. Often times when I'm feeling down, or overwhelmed, God sends a hymn to comfort me. They are such a blessing

    ReplyDelete